We all want clear skin with that natural “dewy” glow. And so, we take on the daily fight against pimples, blemishes, blackheads, and other imperfections that make us feel self-conscious. It’s no wonder the booming skincare industry can easily cash in on women’s insecurities… Behind this is the claim that to treat these imperfections, you need to rid your skin of oil incompletely, apply harsh chemicals to “deep clean” your pores. In fact, these marketing claims have fuelled a full-blown obsession with “grease cutting” antibacterial products formulated to “purify” your skin – only to over-dry, cause irritation, and further sensitize delicate skin. This eventually leads to even oilier skin, more problems and worsening skin conditions. Soon enough, SURPRISE! Yet another pimple flares up sending us back into overdrive in an effort to counter the impending damage. And the endless cycle continues…
Break the cycle: Work with Your Skin – Not Against it.
Enter the new cleaning method that is quickly becoming all the rage with sensitive skin ladies all over the world: The Oil Cleansing Method (OCM). This is the process of using oil (instead of soap or a cleanser) to dissolve and remove dirt on the skin. We know what you’re thinking…. Cleaning skin with OIL?! Seems counter-intuitive. But here’s the deal, ladies: oil is not the enemy! There is no need to fear applying oil to your face, because oil alone will not clog pores or cause breakouts. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads, whiteheads...these are caused by multiple factors including hormones, bacteria, and the buildup dead skin cells. After all, your skin naturally produces oil because it NEEDS it.
The Foundation for Clear, Radiant Skin
Rather than strip away your skin essential protective layer, the OCM cleans your skin and dissolves makeup while helping to lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize it so that it can function properly – leading to a clear, radiant, beautiful complexion!
The key to oil cleansing is to do it right! We recommend once a day at nighttime. Try our favorite technique and experience the amazing results for yourself:
What you’ll need:
- A soft wash cloth and hand towel
- For normal to dry and combination skin: Use Olive, Argan, or Avocado Oil.
- For oily skin: Use Grapeseed or Sweet Almond Oil.
- For acne-prone skin: Use Jojoba Oil.
Steps to follow:
- Wet face with warm water.
- Pour about 1/2 teaspoon of oil (quarter size amount) into palm and rub hands together.
- Apply gently to your face in small circular motions for 30 seconds to 2 minutes to allow the oil to penetrate. Concentrate on areas with clogged pores.
- Wet wash cloth with the warmest water you can handle, wring it out, and spread it over your face.
- Leave on until the washcloth has cooled to about room temperature and then wipe your face.
- Repeat a second time, but use the clean hand towel to wipe your face the second time.
There you have it! You have oil cleansed. There should be a thin layer of oil left on your skin to balance and protect. It may take a week or two for your skin to adjust to this new regimen, so give it time and you’ll reap the benefits. It’s worth it!